Skip to main content

An exclusive interview of Jeannette Walls, author of The Glass Castle

Q :  How long did it take you to write The Glass Castle and what was that process like?
 

Writing about myself, and about intensely personal and potentially embarrassing experiences, was unlike anything I’d done before. Over the last 25 years, I wrote many versions of this memoir -- sometimes pounding out 220 pages in a single weekend. But I always threw out the pages. At one point I tried to fictionalize it, but that didn't work either.

When I was finally ready, I wrote it entirely on the weekends, getting to my desk by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. and continuing until 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. I wrote the first draft in about six weeks -- but then I spent three or four years rewriting it. My husband, John Taylor, who is also a writer, observed all this approvingly and quoted John Fowles, who said that a book should be like a child: conceived in passion and reared with care.
 


Q :  How did you decide to follow The Glass Castle with Half Broke Horses? 
It was completely at the suggestion of readers. So many people kept saying the next book should be about my mother. Readers understood my father's recklessness because they understood alcoholism, but Mom was a mystery to them. Why, they would ask, would someone with the resources to lead a normal life choose the existence that she did?

I would tell them a little bit about my mother’s childhood. She not only knew that she could survive without indoor plumbing, but that was the ideal period of her life, a time that she tries to recreate. I think that for memoir readers, it's not about a freak show– they’re just looking to understand people and get into a life that’s not their own. I thought, let me give it a shot, let me ask Mom. And she was all for it. But she kept insisting that the book should really be about her mother. At first I resisted because my grandmother, Lily Casey Smith, died when I was eight years old, more than 40 years ago. But I have a very vivid memory of this tough, leathery woman; she sang, she danced, she shot guns, she’d play honky tonk piano. I was always captivated by her. Lily had told such compelling stories—I was stunned by the number of anecdotes, and that Mom knew so much detail about them. Half Broke Horses is a compilation of family stories, stitched together with gaps filled in. They're the sort of tales that pretty much everyone has heard from their parents or grandparents. I realized that in telling Lily's story, I could also explain Mom's.

 


Q :  Why did you decide to write Half Broke Horses in the first person, and how much of this "true-life novel" is fiction? 
I set out to write a biography of Lily, but sometimes books take on a life of their own. I told it in first person because I wanted to capture Lily’s voice. I’m a lot like my grandmother, so it came easily to me. I planned to go back and change it from first person to third person and put in qualifiers so the book would be historically accurate, but when I showed it to my agent and publisher, they both said to leave it as it is. By doing that, I crossed the line from nonfiction into fiction. But when I call it fiction it’s not because I tarted it up and tried to embellish things, but wanted to make it more readable, fluid, and immediate. I was trying to get as close to the truth as I could.

 


Q :  How has your relationship with your mother changed in recent years?

Several years ago, the abandoned building on New York’s Lower East Side where Mom had been squatting for more than a decade caught fire and she was back on the streets again at age 72. I begged her to come live with me. She said Virginia was too boring, and besides, she's not a freeloader. I told her we could really use help with the horses, and she said she'd be right there. I get along great with Mom now. She's a hoot. She's always upbeat, and has a very different take on life than most people. She's a lot of fun to be around -- as long as you're not looking for her to take care of you. She doesn’t live in the house with us-- I have not reached that level of understanding and compassion-- but in an outbuilding about a hundred yards away. Mom is great with the animals, loves to sing and dance and ride horses, and is still painting like a fiend.

 


Q :  What do you hope readers will gain from reading your books?
 

Since writing The Glass Castle, so many people have said to me, "Oh, you’re so strong and you’re so resilient, and I couldn’t do what you did." That’s very flattering, but it’s nonsense. Of course they’re as strong as I am. I just had the great fortune of having been tested. If we look at our ancestry, we all come from tough roots. And one of the ways to discover our toughness and our resiliency is to look back at where we come from. I hope people who read The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses will come away with that. You know, "Gosh, I come from hearty stock. Maybe I’m tougher than I realize."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazons and Other Stories by Richard Dyer

A Bold Tale of Justice and Empowerment, The Amazons and Other Stories In the realm of storytelling, few collections manage to strike a balance between gripping drama and deep societal commentary like Richard Dyer’s The Amazons and Other Stories. This book is not just a series of narratives, it’s a powerful exploration of female strength, resilience, and the pursuit of justice. Through its main story, The Amazons, and six other diverse tales, the collection address’s universal themes of identity, love, trauma, and survival. Plot, Empowerment, and Impact At the heart of The Amazons, Lindy, a nurse and survivor of a violent attack, takes justice into her own hands alongside Renee and Jenny, forming a vigilante group to protect women and punish predators. Their actions spark both admiration and societal debate, while Lindy’s relationship with Burt, a detective torn between love and duty, adds emotional depth. The story powerfully depicts the solidarity and resilience of women fighting back...

DOUBLE CROSSED AND UNRAVELED by Kelsey Carlee

This memoir recounts the relationships that a young Kelsey experienced, such as how her whole world got turned upside down when she met Howie. It touches on her complicated relationship with her mother, and how the love she developed for Cole nearly cost her life.  The plot makes a full circle from when the author was younger to the adult version of herself, as she grieved the loss of her mother and had to look back at the past to be able to call things what they really were. This book chronicles the author's unraveling through poetry, letters, and recollection as an outlet to heal her past traumas.  Double Crossed and Unraveled is for every survivor of neglect and abuse. It touches on domestic violence, PTSD, sexual assault, complicated grief, addiction, and recovery. It’s easy to get lost in this "riveting" story that's difficult to set down once you begin reading. https://a.co/d/aBAoWDU

Seanny & Connor's Forest Adventure by Andrea R. F.

🌿 Seanny and Connor’s Forest Adventure An exciting journey of friendship, courage, and survival in the heart of the wild!  When Connor sets off on a school expedition, he expects a day of learning and laughter—but not to end up lost deep in the forest! Scared and alone, Connor’s world changes when he meets Seanny, a wise and cheerful jaguar cub who knows every twist and turn of the wilderness.  With Seanny—and his sister Lola—by his side, Connor learns how to use survival gear, spot danger, find food and water, and make the forest his friend. Along the way, he meets a playful monkey, a trickster parrot, a helpful sloth, and even a majestic anaconda. But the biggest lesson comes from Seanny’s mother—a powerful jaguar who shows Connor the meaning of bravery, family, and love.  Packed with heartwarming animal encounters, clever survival tips, and unforgettable adventures, Seanny and Connor’s Forest Adventure is a perfect chapter book for young readers who love animals, the ...