Skip to main content

An exclusive interview of Jeannette Walls, author of The Glass Castle

Q :  How long did it take you to write The Glass Castle and what was that process like?
 

Writing about myself, and about intensely personal and potentially embarrassing experiences, was unlike anything I’d done before. Over the last 25 years, I wrote many versions of this memoir -- sometimes pounding out 220 pages in a single weekend. But I always threw out the pages. At one point I tried to fictionalize it, but that didn't work either.

When I was finally ready, I wrote it entirely on the weekends, getting to my desk by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. and continuing until 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. I wrote the first draft in about six weeks -- but then I spent three or four years rewriting it. My husband, John Taylor, who is also a writer, observed all this approvingly and quoted John Fowles, who said that a book should be like a child: conceived in passion and reared with care.
 


Q :  How did you decide to follow The Glass Castle with Half Broke Horses? 
It was completely at the suggestion of readers. So many people kept saying the next book should be about my mother. Readers understood my father's recklessness because they understood alcoholism, but Mom was a mystery to them. Why, they would ask, would someone with the resources to lead a normal life choose the existence that she did?

I would tell them a little bit about my mother’s childhood. She not only knew that she could survive without indoor plumbing, but that was the ideal period of her life, a time that she tries to recreate. I think that for memoir readers, it's not about a freak show– they’re just looking to understand people and get into a life that’s not their own. I thought, let me give it a shot, let me ask Mom. And she was all for it. But she kept insisting that the book should really be about her mother. At first I resisted because my grandmother, Lily Casey Smith, died when I was eight years old, more than 40 years ago. But I have a very vivid memory of this tough, leathery woman; she sang, she danced, she shot guns, she’d play honky tonk piano. I was always captivated by her. Lily had told such compelling stories—I was stunned by the number of anecdotes, and that Mom knew so much detail about them. Half Broke Horses is a compilation of family stories, stitched together with gaps filled in. They're the sort of tales that pretty much everyone has heard from their parents or grandparents. I realized that in telling Lily's story, I could also explain Mom's.

 


Q :  Why did you decide to write Half Broke Horses in the first person, and how much of this "true-life novel" is fiction? 
I set out to write a biography of Lily, but sometimes books take on a life of their own. I told it in first person because I wanted to capture Lily’s voice. I’m a lot like my grandmother, so it came easily to me. I planned to go back and change it from first person to third person and put in qualifiers so the book would be historically accurate, but when I showed it to my agent and publisher, they both said to leave it as it is. By doing that, I crossed the line from nonfiction into fiction. But when I call it fiction it’s not because I tarted it up and tried to embellish things, but wanted to make it more readable, fluid, and immediate. I was trying to get as close to the truth as I could.

 


Q :  How has your relationship with your mother changed in recent years?

Several years ago, the abandoned building on New York’s Lower East Side where Mom had been squatting for more than a decade caught fire and she was back on the streets again at age 72. I begged her to come live with me. She said Virginia was too boring, and besides, she's not a freeloader. I told her we could really use help with the horses, and she said she'd be right there. I get along great with Mom now. She's a hoot. She's always upbeat, and has a very different take on life than most people. She's a lot of fun to be around -- as long as you're not looking for her to take care of you. She doesn’t live in the house with us-- I have not reached that level of understanding and compassion-- but in an outbuilding about a hundred yards away. Mom is great with the animals, loves to sing and dance and ride horses, and is still painting like a fiend.

 


Q :  What do you hope readers will gain from reading your books?
 

Since writing The Glass Castle, so many people have said to me, "Oh, you’re so strong and you’re so resilient, and I couldn’t do what you did." That’s very flattering, but it’s nonsense. Of course they’re as strong as I am. I just had the great fortune of having been tested. If we look at our ancestry, we all come from tough roots. And one of the ways to discover our toughness and our resiliency is to look back at where we come from. I hope people who read The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses will come away with that. You know, "Gosh, I come from hearty stock. Maybe I’m tougher than I realize."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unique Creatures - Book Series by Willow Foster-Thorpe

Willow Foster Book series is Unique Creatures  Understanding deafness with Felix the Frog  Come along on an exciting adventure with Felix the Frog, who is deaf and uses Makaton, which is a type of sign language.  Together, with his friend Rupert the Snail, they explore the library and meet a very serious and strict librarian who is a Ladybird, who likes everyone to be quite in the library, the trouble is that Felix cannot help but shout! www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Deafness-Felix-Frog-Creatures/dp/1802276513 Understanding autism with Rupert the snail  Come along on an exciting adventure with Rupert the snail, who has autism, and see him take a thrilling train ride to visit his cousins.  Together with his cousins, Betty and Stanley, they enjoy spending time at the park, but not everyone understands autism and some creatures get upset when Stanley does not wait for his turn on the slide. Learn about autism with Rupert the snail. www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-autism-Rupert-Snail-Creat

Complex Mental Health: The Benefits Of Social Prescribing by Dr. Nàdia Correia

Mental health is like a journey with many winding roads. Like any voyage, its terrain can be difficult to navigate, and it’s full of unexpected turns, bumps along the way, and moments of clarity. Despite the abundance of research and resources devoted to mental health, it is often still ignored or even stigmatized. This is especially true in more traditional or conservative communities and societies where mental health issues are not openly discussed. Unfortunately, these attitudes can lead to a lack of understanding and perpetuation of stigma surrounding mental illness. This can cause individuals to suffer in silence, believing that it is not acceptable to talk about their struggles. This book seeks to change this outlook by giving readers a comprehensive overview of the complexities of mental health and why discussing it openly is essential for making progress. Through the lens of social prescribing, readers will learn how evidence-based strategies are being used to better support

DASH & VI by Kaytee Cahill

Embark on an enchanting journey with sugar gliders Dash and Vi, the most adorable duo you'll ever meet! Get ready to dive into a world of excitement, exploration and friendship with search-to-find rhyming riddles in "DASH & VI" by Kaytee Cahill. In this charming children's book, Dash and Vi, two curious sugar gliders take readers on thrilling adventures with vibrant illustrations that breathe life into every scene. "DASH & VI" invites children to immerse themselves in a world of captivating imagery. Every page is a gateway to a new destination, where imagination knows no bounds and Dash and Vi await to be found. Perfect for children of all ages, "DASH & VI" is not only an entertaining read but also an educational journey. It fosters cognitive development, boosts problem-solving abilities, nurtures a love for exploration and introduces children to the world of sugar gliders. Let Dash and Vi be your child's guide to an unforgettable a